Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pop the Blog Cherry

I suppose I should start by explaining the title of my blog. My second weekend in NYC was also my roommate's birthday. Being that Lexi is a fan of the Zac Brown Band, she found out they were playing that Saturday night and asked me to go with her. Loving a good live concert and thinking this may bring me a piece of Charleston, I obliged.

It rained the night of the concert which made it borderline miserable trying to venture into unknown parts of Manhattan in search of Terminal 5, the venue of said concert. But we found it and managed to make our way inside where a sea of semi-wet and wholly smelly people were awaiting the start of the show.

Somewhere between the 3rd and 16th songs, I started daydreaming about possible titles for an autobiography-taking for granted the fact that I would ever BE that famous or important where a biography would be necessary. Regardless, the title of this blog was what I came up with.

Next natural question: why? In a nut shell, because I'm a chameleon. I can hang with the guys watching a football game and eating a burger but I can go shopping with my best friends and advise them on the latest trends in shoe-wear. I can, and often do, play many roles. This is what makes me, me. But it's also what makes me impossible to predict and difficult to hire. What I view as an "ability to adapt" or "take on various roles" others look at as a recipe for inconsistency. Even the potential for boredom. SO not true!

Ok, who am I kidding-it is kind of true. I do get bored easily and because I hardly every really know what I want (don't blame this on my age, it's Micky-ism more than a 20-something's curse) I am doomed to see myself as a successful nurse, actor, playwright or even business owner. In short, I really think I'm good at whatever I want & what I want is usually whatever I think is cool for the moment. (I usually define cool by some standard of random inspiration that happens when I met or see a person who is successful at whatever occupation I listed above). This is not met to make me sound flaky or worse, out of touch with reality. It's meant to show you that I completely believe that a career choice can be self-suicide if there is not room for fluidity. I much prefer to pick up on my emotional or personal strengths (like the fact that I'm good at organizing or that I like to be in control and I love to teach, well, anything). These offer more insight into the skills I think are necessary to "decide" what I want to do with my life. But I digress....

"Slamming Whiskey, Sipping Wine" is more than a testimony to my down-to-earth, girl-next-door, cliche personality. It's also a vague admittance that I do, in fact, have a schizophrenic tendency to change my style, opinion and interests daily. I admit this is not such a desirable trait. There are, however, traits I will never change. My sense of loyalty (I am unwavering loyal), my need for independence (have you met the women in my family?), my love of animals, shoes and traveling (obsessions, really) or my need for a creative outlet (even if a painting will sit for months, unfinished, in my room). These qualities will never change. They can't. They're engraved in my DNA.

My alcoholic beverage of choice - always changing ; )
Shots all around!

MK

1 comment:

  1. I love it... finally you popped the blog cherry. I am sure this will be as successful as everything else you put your mind to..and if you happen to start traveling and writing about it...hit me up and ill send you on an African Safari or two:)

    So happy youre in NYC!!

    XO - Jordan

    ReplyDelete