Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Art for Arts Sake

I blog for a variety of reasons.

First & foremost: it gives me purpose. That purpose if often changing, evolving & rotating depending on my mood or my needs. Sometimes I think I have something really important or enlightening to share (this is actually rarely seen thru because as I start typing the "profound" characteristic of such thoughts slowly dissipate). Other times I want to make people laugh (people meaning the 3 person maximum I actually know check this thing). Most frequently, I need to get something off my chest. By typing it, I make it feel real - I engrave it somewhere. I've tried & failed to keep a diary so in a way, this operates as that without feeling forced.

When I scan the blogger world for other readable rants, I see similar (although more static) goals driving my fellow writers. Mommy Blogs - providing humor & community in the microcosm of motherhood. Working Girl Blogs - sarcastic wit to help alleviate the daily hardships of 9-5 grinds. Free Flow Blogs - most similar to my camp these writers just try to create culture awareness or stimulate thought. Then there are the less obvious & slightly more irritating brand of "blogs." I call them the blogarazzi. They act just like the paparazzi without the cameras, car-chases or ACTUAL celebrity sightings. They use the internet to toss around ideas, angry vents or offer praises based on E! News, OK magazine, US Weekly, Page 6 or whatever other means I'm not privy to regarding Hollywood & its offspring.

Why do they irritate me? Well, mostly because there are enough mediums to gab, comment, rape & pillage celebrities or their lives without adding the blogging world. I mean, a blog here or there on the Oscars or cheating as inspired by Sandra Bullock/Jesse James's newest mishap is one thing. But were talking about people who thrive on this shit. Honestly, don't you have anything better to talk about? Think about? WORRY about?

...... don't you WANT anything better to do?

I know, I know, I know. Blogger world is large & it's easy to avoid any type of blog you may not be in favor of. I not trying to vi for blog sanctity in some holy crusade against the trash that is Perez Hilton or what-not. But I'd just like to remind the general public that there are much MUCH much more interesting things going on in the world that have nothing to do with politics or war (because on the other end of the spectrum these topics are equally exhausting). Movies, music, new video games, etc ....

At the very least, combine talk of cheating, drug abuse or celebrity gab into larger scale conversations. Take it out of Hollywood & globalize it so you at least sound intelligent.

Sorry, "culturally aware" was probably a better choice of words. But I digress....

I blog because it matters. It matters that people communicate & talk, even if they make enemies from it or piss people off. It matters. It's a forum for thought & even when those thoughts are considered dumb, extreme & otherwise (yes, this includes blogs' entitled "Why Heidi Montage/Pratt should be president" - which wasn't being sarcastic). Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There is nothing I hate more than "art for art's sake." So speak & write with purpose. Not only for shear enjoyment. Not for shock factor (although sometimes this pays off). Don't just play up culture for your own benefit. Do what YOU do best ... as long as it doesn't purely involve following celebrity gossip. Push yourself a bit more than that. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment