Monday, November 16, 2009

Hey! I know you....

It's true what they say about celebrity sightings in NYC - they're prevalent. Especially if you work in the hospitality industry or frequent the blocks between Park, Madison & 5th Ave. Since I've been here (a measly 30 days) I have walked directly passed Adrian Grenier, sat a party of 2 at a table directly next to Spike Lee & company, stood back to back with A-Rod (although I have to admit this was unknowingly) & helped a friend of Josh Harnett's locate him in a crowded jazz club (he is really frickin' tall). A friend of mine has held conversation with Derek Jeter (also unknowingly until she walked away) & my roommate & I were unlawfully stopped on the sidewalk outside the MoMa because there was "stunt filming" taking place that involved Matt Damon.... the joys of living in the city.

Personally, I'm not one for being star-struck. I met Bruce Willis as a child & Kevin Costner when I was a senior in Charleston. The experiences affected me little other than to note that there is a this strange feeling of "connection" that comes with meeting a celebrity. I mean, I could swap celeb sighting stories with every New Yorker & a fair share of other people as well. But it is strange when you consider the individual who really really REALLY gets attached to the idea that "I sat next to Justin Timberlake at a coffee shop" or "I was at the club that Samantha Ronsen DJ'd at last night!" There's something less obvious to their excitement than the competitive nature that comes with relaying stories like the ones above. It's not the typical "let me one-up you on the celebrity-encounters front." No, on second glance there is a very real, oddly powerful connection that these people feel to this, in reality, perfect stranger they have just (barely) interacted with.

I find it fascinating. What is it about brushing past someone who has more money than you, more notoriety than the majority of the population will ever have & less interest in talking to you than the barista at Starbucks that makes people go CRAZY to admit they have experienced it? I mean, all opinions aside about who your favorite actor is, which member of the Pussy Cat Dolls you'd rather meet (which is actually a mute point considering no one really knows any of them except Nicole who really should just go solo) or what you would do if you ran into Lindsey Lohan on the street (punch her? launch the nearest sharp object you could find?), I think it is more rewarding to see a siberian tiger at the zoo than pray for the luminary of the latest reality TV show or Friday night box office slam to walk by you on any of NYC street corner...

Although, it is admittedly "cool." All I'm saying is don't act like a 13 year old asian child that saw Obama wave as his caravan drove by (this really happened. She started crying....) Oye.

1 comment:

  1. haha i love this. this is not only true, but as far as not being jaded...i think regan and i can also admit that it is just best to play it cool:)

    ReplyDelete